Monday, February 14, 2011

Let the Fundraising Begin!

That following Monday, after excitedly telling my family and friends all about my new challenge, I was emailed my fundraising page and went right to work. I personalized my page and began sending it out via email to everyone I knew. Listen up everyone, I've decided to run a marathon! I might be crazy, but I need your support! Donate on my fundraising page today! OK, so I was a tad less blunt but I wasted no time getting the word out and asking people to support me and the worthy cause I was running for - the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS).

Many people in my "network" were already familiar with this cause. Sadly, my sorority sister passed away from Leukemia at the age of 23.  All of us college friends followed her battle, as chronicled by her family on a amazing website which is now the site for a foundation whose efforts support patients like her. I feel proud that I am able to contribute to these efforts through my fundraising as well.

One thing I quickly learned once I started identifying my network of people to reach out to, is that I have a big network! My extended family alone on both sides (and significant others - have to include them in the fundraising efforts!) accounted for around 60 people! What a lucky girl I am! Others in my network included friends near and far, some I hadn't even been in contact with for a while. I figured better to include everyone, even those I haven't connected with in some time, because I'd be happy to support someone who reached out and hoped they felt the same!

Other groups I included in my outreach were co-workers, alumni groups, current members of my sorority, facebook friends, and my parents' and sister's co-workers and friends. I also reached out to my gym to see if they support members for events like this, and the CEO committed $50.00! Donations can come from just about anywhere, you just have to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment