Sunday, March 6, 2011

Aidan

Grab a tissue. This is a very touching story but exactly why I'm doing this.  When I am tired and worn out from training, I will remember Aidan!

The following correspondence is between a Team In Training participant and a donor. The TNT runner came home one night to the following note (and $100 donation) in his fundraising email. He has never met the Garveys. 
Note from Regina Garvey to TNT Participant Justin: 
In 1998, I ran 26.2 with TNT in Alaska. Never would I have guessed that 11 yrs. later, my own son would get A.L.L. (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia). On Father's Day, I took my 5 1/2 y/o son, Aidan, to the ER w/ a reoccurring cough. He was diagnosed w/ A.L.L. & put in the ICU. He responded quickly to the chemo & was in remission w/in a wk. & given a 85% chance for a full recovery. A few days later he got the Swine Flu IN THE ICU & due to his low immune system, he passed away on July 17th, just 3 1/2 weeks after the nightmare began. We've started a non-profit to fight hospital-born illnesses, but need people like you to keep raising money to find a cure for cancer so other parents don't have to feel our pain. If you could remember Aidan when you are running, we'd really appreciate it.
THANK YOU, JUSTIN!
 Love, Regina Garvey
Justin's Response:
Dear Regina,
I make my living as a writer yet it took me days to compose an adequate response to your generous donation, and more importantly, to your story. I'm still not sure this does it justice.
When I look at my two daughters, ages 3 1/2 and 15 months, I can not comprehend the pain that you and your family have endured, nor can I understand the weight of the unanswered questions that remain.
A mentor and friend once told me "of whom much is given, much is expected". That expression popped into my head a few weeks ago and I had the realization, perhaps "epiphany" is a better word, that I've lived thus far a fortunate, maybe even insulated, life. It was time for me to do something to help others. I chose TNT because it would help me fulfill two goals: First, I wanted to give back, to help out my community in some way (LLS seemed to me a most worthwhile cause), and second, I've always wanted to run a marathon.
When I received your email Saturday evening, I read and reread and read it again. It brought tears to my eyes and a tangible purpose to my efforts now, next January in Phoenix, and hopefully, next April in Boston. One of my goals - perhaps a pipe dream I know - is to qualify in Phoenix for Boston. If my body holds up and I do earn a spot at Boston, I'd like to help you raise money for your non-profit by running Boston for Aidan. It will be my way of saying thank you and helping your cause. 
You poignantly asked that I remember Aidan during my run and on race day. Of course I will. Part of my plan is to dedicate certain miles to certain people. Mile One is for me. Miles Two and Three are for my daughters. Mile 18, supposedly one of the toughest to get through, is for my Aunt Kathy, who lost a leg to cancer some 30 years ago and has been on crutches ever since.
Others I'm sure will sponsor other miles. But Mile 26 is now taken.
It will be just Aidan and me. 
Yours,
Justin 

No comments:

Post a Comment